‘Diabetes’ is short for Diabetes Mellitus (derived from greek and Latin) and means ‘siphoning of sweet/honeyed liquid from the body.
We are experiencing an epidemic of diabetes all around the world and particularly in our country. This disease is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality due to complications of Diabetes in our country.
India has an estimated 77 million people with diabetes, which makes it the second most affected country in the world, after China. One in six people (17%) in the world with diabetes is from India. India also has the second-highest number of children with type 1 diabetes after the United States.
Over the past 30 years, the prevalence of diabetes has increased to 12-18% in urban India and 3-6% in rural India with significant regional variations.
An equally large number of people have prediabetes (14% of our population). Undetected prediabetes progresses to frank diabetes, with all the accompanying complications.
· Dr. Siri Kamath has an experience of 12 years internal medicine.
· Senior Consultant Physician at OISuper-Specialty Clinics, Above Oncology India, (J P Nagar, )She currently heads the Department of Internal Medicine and COVID CARE TASK FORCE at BGS GLENEAGLESGLOBAL Hospitals, Kengeri, Bangalore.
· She has handled a large variety of cases in internal medicine.
· Her experience includes dealing with Infectious diseases, Complications of Diabetes and Hypertension, Cardiac and Kidney disease.
· Certified in Management of Diabetes, Hypertension, Cholesterol and Thyroid diseases management.
· She has Rich experience in dealing withCritical and Emergency Medical Cases, Poisoning and Drug overdoses snakebite and other medical emergencies.